NuCar provide an online service owned and operated by New and Demo Ltd or its subsidiary companies (“nucar”, “we” or “us”). Please review this privacy statement which explains the information that we collect, how the information is used, and your rights in relation to this.
New and Demo Ltd of Waterkloof Ridge, Pretoria, 0181 is the data controller of the personal information collected via or in connection with the NuCar desktop website, mobile website and mobile application.
What information do we collect about you?
We collect personal information from you when you provide it to us directly and through your use of the Websites, Mobile Website and Mobile Application. This information may include:
- Information you provide to us when you create an account with us, which will include your name, email address and password;
- Information you provide when using any of our platforms, for example your telephone number, searches, reviews and comments;
- Any correspondence you have with dealers via our Websites;
- Records of your interactions with NuCar (e.g. if you contact our support team).
- Any contact made by dealers in connection with the NuCar service for quality control and training purposes;
- Information you provide to us when you enter a competition or participate in a survey; and
- Information collected automatically, using cookies and other tracking technologies (e.g. pages viewed and whether you clicked on a link in one of our email updates). We may also collect information about the device you use to access our digital platforms.
We will also collect information from our dealers once you have purchased a car from them. This is only used for statistical purposes and to improve the service we provide to our users and dealerships.
This privacy statement is primarily aimed at users of our digital platforms. However, if you work for a car dealership with whom we partner, please read the below.
If you work for a car dealership with whom we partner, we will collect your business contact details as well as other information relevant to our professional relationship with you, including a photo to display on the various digital platforms. We will also maintain a record of your communications with us and with users via our Websites.
We may collect information about you from you directly, from your employer, from a user of our platforms, or from publicly available sources (e.g. your dealership Websites).
We will use this information for the purposes of developing and maintaining our partnership with you. If you would like to update or delete your dealer profile on our Websites, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
What do we use your personal information for?
Depending on how you use our platforms, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
- To fulfill requests submitted via the platforms and maintain your online account;
- To contact you about your use of our service and platforms and send you car offers;
- Where you contact a dealer via any of our platforms, NuCar (or its service provider) may call or communicate with you to confirm whether you bought a car from that dealer;
- To manage and respond to any queries or complaints to our customer service team;
- To personalise our service to you and show you content we think you will be most interested in, based on your account information and your history on our platforms;
- To fulfill our obligations to the dealerships we work with;
- To improve and maintain our platforms, and monitor its usage;
- For market research, e.g. we may contact you for feedback on your experience with the a dealership or our service
- To send you marketing messages and show you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so;
- For security purposes, to investigate fraud and where necessary to protect ourselves and third parties; and
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Generally, we rely on your consent to process the personal information collected via our platforms, so that we can provide you with the services we offer. You can withdraw your consent at any time by logging into your profile and deleting your profile, but if you do so we will need to delete your account and you will no longer be able to conduct any transactions via our platforms.
We may also process your personal information where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, in order to maintain our Websites and conduct our business to:
- conduct an analysis on our user base and the searches made via our platforms;
- contact you after you have used any of our platforms to ask if you have bought a car and to get feedback on your purchasing experience
- confirm that you have found a vehicle via our service, we will process your personal information in order to fulfill our obligations to the dealers we work with
Marketing & Advertising
We would like to keep you informed on any new deals or motoring industry news. Depending on your marketing preferences, we may use your personal information to send you marketing, including by email or SMS. Some of these messages may be tailored to you, based on your previous use of any of our platforms.
If you would like to opt out, or back into receiving marketing communication you can change your preferences at any time by contacting email@example.com, or clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email, or visiting ‘Settings’ in your account.
If you do unsubscribe from marketing, please note that we will still contact you from time to time regarding any NuCar service messages and any new offers that have been sent to you by our dealers with regards to enquiries you have made on our platforms.
Adverts for our service and platforms may also appear on third party websites, including on social media. These ads may be tailored to you using cookies and/or similar technologies. Where you see an ad on third party websites or social media, this may be because we have engaged the third party or social network to show ads to our users, or others who match the demographic profile of our users. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address with a third party or social network so that they can identify you as one of our users. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third party websites.
Who do we share your information with?
We share users’ information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With car dealers, to pass on your enquiry on a specific vehicle. Please note though that we will only share your name and your location, as well as any additional information regarding your preferred vehicle;
- Call centre provider to confirm if you have bought a vehicle via our platforms and how you would rate your experience in the purchasing process
- With our professional and legal advisors;
- With third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection;
- With law enforcement or other governmental authorities, in response to a lawful request or court order;
- Otherwise where we have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
We also disclose aggregate data, which does not identify any user personally, including to third parties working in media, which is used for automotive market analysis.
Storage and Deletion
Our platforms are hosted by Domains.co.za and Hetzner which has servers based around the world, and we may in future use other international service providers as well, in which case we will duly update our Privacy Terms and ensure that all appropriate measures are taken to safeguard our users personal information.
If you would like to delete your account with NuCar, please contact us using the details below. Please note, however, that if you delete your account we may:
- retain some of your details (for example if you have made a complaint about our Websites), for as long as is necessary to protect us from a legal claim;
- if you delete your account, retain a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future;
- If you decide to unsubscribe to marketing content, retain a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.
Users under 18
Our platforms and service is not intended for and should not be used by anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 18.
You have certain rights in respect of your personal information, including the right to access, correct, and request the erasure of your personal information.
You also have the right to object to your personal information being used for certain purposes, including to send you marketing. See ‘Marketing’ above, for more details of how to opt-out of marketing.
To the best of our ability we will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please note however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request.
To make any requests regarding your personal information, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding your personal information, please contact us using: firstname.lastname@example.org
When you visit our websites, information may be placed in form of a “cookie” placed on your computer. “Cookies” are small text files that are copied from a web server to your hard drive. Cookies contain information that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. Cookies cannot run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. The cookies we use do not contain personal information and are not combined with those.
You have the option to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies. However, you can usually modify your browser setting that cookies should be rejected. If cookies are rejected, it may be that you are no longer able to use certain features of this website. If cookies are accepted, you can delete cookies at a later date.
We make use of the following cookies:
- Session cookies, which are required for the functionality of this website
- Analytics cookies, which allows us to understand how our visitors interact with this website. We utilise Google Analytics and other standard analytics software.
- Advertising cookies from our advertising partners. These cookies are set by our advertising partners (e.g. Google AdWords) and are not directly used by this website.
Last updated: February 2020